Sunday, November 16, 2014

The IZZY Ex~perience: HUGH

I met Hugh on my first day of work at an L.A. advertising agency in 1983. I told him I was going to be a screenwriter. He asked what I had written. "I'm in the hunting and gathering stage," I replied.

"Meaning you've written nothing. Until now. I can visualize this movie. It stars me. Taking over the agency one client at a time. Vice president by the time I am thirty. . .two. Buying a house in the Hollywood Hills. Doubling my investment on the resale. The L.A. real estate market is a surefire home run, Izabela."

"Wow. I think I have my screenplay," I said.

"You can be in it. I meet you years later. On Sunset Boulevard. You look like one of those aging starlets from a bygone era. I am about to get into my Lamborghini when you call to me. . . (In a creaky high pitched voice) “'Hey, Mister. I was a famous screenwriter.'”

I should have known, right then and there, because I am that old lady and I still write.

No comments:

Post a Comment